Hardwood is one of the most popular flooring options in the greater Jupiter, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County areas due to its classic look and durability. With new advances in technology, there are many different options available today that emulate the look of hardwood but are much cheaper. Laminate is one of the most popular hardwood alternatives because it is affordable, durable, and easy to maintain! Let the experts at Floor Coverings International Jupiter share differences between the two below.
Solid hardwood is made from a single piece of wood. Engineered hardwood is similar, but is made up of several layers of plywood and then topped with a layer of solid hardwood.
Benefits of Hardwood
- Adds Value: Solid or engineered hardwood will add value to your home.
- Durability: Both solid and engineered hardwoods can be sanded and refinished to get rid of any dents or scratches. Solid hardwood can have this done many times.
- Appearance: While laminate is very convincing, nothing beats the look and beauty of actual hardwood.
- Longevity: Hardwood will last for decades and still look beautiful.
Laminate is composed of several layers of composite wood and topped with a vinyl layer. The top vinyl layer is a 3D print of the wood species you’re trying to emulate. The clear melamine resin layer on top is what helps protect the floor.
Benefits of Laminate
- Affordable: Because laminate is not made out of solid wood, it is much more affordable than engineered or solid hardwood.
- Durable: Laminate is resistant to moisture and everyday wear and tear. This means that it can be installed in any room of the house.
- Maintenance: Laminate floors can be cleaned with regular sweeping and mopping.
There are many different benefits to hardwood and laminate. Our Floor Coverings International Jupiter design associate can talk you through this and more during your free in-home design consultation. We proudly serve the greater Jupiter, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County areas and look forward to working with you!